We aim to publish three times monthly, all year round. We welcome nonfictional, travel submissions in prose, poetry, drama; essay, photography and other illustrative arts from anybody anywhere in the world. We also review, and accept reviews of, travel literature. We only publish the finest writing that reflects a sense of curiosity, and understanding.
We want to know more than the specifics of how to get to a place or what to do there or checklists. We want your writing to resonate with the people who call the places you describe home. We want writing that is as much about the landscape as your inner reflections on the journey. We want to smell the aromas, taste the food, explore the streets, talk to the people you meet, all vicariously, and want you to take our readers along on your journeys and introduce them to a destination. Our community of readers span the globe and vary, so we expect you to write from an international perspective. We welcome submissions from anywhere in the world.
- Send your travelogue in MS Word format (.doc, .docx, .dot) or OpenOffice (.odf), as an attachment. Our preference is for unpublished material. Please let us know if you have photos to accompany your work. If we are interested in the piece, we will ask you to send the photos. Also, be sure to include photo credits and fitting captions.
- The maximum word count for prose work is 4,500, but, of course, this can be waived providing the piece is interesting.
- For poetry, we will accept a minimum of three poems at a time.
- For photography and other illustrative arts, send in high resolution jpeg files, not larger than 5 MB.
- Perhaps, you encountered something dramatic and had interesting discussions with the locals. We would be delighted if you could experiment with the dramatic literature and present your travel experience in this from. But remember, it must be non-fiction and such dramatic pieces should be between 700 and 1,000 words
- We feature reviews of travel books. Reviewers should bring in their reviews at no more than 2,500 words.
- For authors who would like us to review their travel book(s), they should get in touch with the publishers via email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Also, we are happy to receive news and events information of interest to travellers and readers of travel writing
- Send alongside your submissions a biography in the third person, no more than 150 words
- All submissions should be done via email@example.com, except for authors who would like to reach out to the publishers.
- We do not currently pay for pieces we publish on Fortunate Traveller, as we are a not-for-profit, unfunded organisation. We will review this policy if and when we have the funds to be able to pay writers.
By publishing your work, we acquire the online rights to your work and all rights revert back to you. Please have a feel of our previous publications for samples of what we are interested in.